Sunday, April 4, 2010

First Cosplay/BONK!

I have a friend Mario who is deeply geeky, like myself. He is way into conventions like BlizzCon and such. Besides the usual trappings of these events like group panels, stuff to buy, and gaming events, he is also way into cosplay. He's at a level of proficiency that requires tools, skill, garage space, and a dedication to the craft. He and his girl, Alice thought that this weekend's Wondercon in San Francisco would be a good chance for me to get into it as well.

Cosplay is something I've considered in the past. I have an amateur theatre background, and a deep affection for different characters, but very little of the skill to apply those or a venue at which to do it. Not anymore, now that I have made a headfirst dash into the realm. When Mario first invited me to go I had no idea how I might dress up. Alice had the first good idea: the Scout.

The Scout is one of the player classes in Team Fortress 2. He's an assault class, focused on speed and mobility, going quick into enemy territory to grab the flag and score points. And we bear some resemblance. Meet the Scout:


And now, our team:


Not bad, right? That's me as Scout, Alice as Link (or Hot Link, as I think of it,) and Mario as a spectacular old-school Captain America. Everybody, let's cosplay!





It was a day and a half! We walked around, looked at geek paraphernalia, and took a ton of pictures. The cosplay experience is kind of like Halloween, minus the candy, multiplied by being a costumed character at Disneyland. People ask to take pictures with you, just because you're dressed like their favorite character. They have you take pictures with their kids! I could be anybody under the mask, but our shared affection for the culture goes past that.

Mario knows this experience well, as his Captain America stole the show. He could barely walk around without stopping for a picture or a video interview for a website. Well done, good sir. Two lessons learned: don't let your props get the better of you; plus, I saw three other TF2 cosplayers at the event (a Red Scout, a Blue Scout, and a Red Soldier) who were all chicks, so clearly...chicks dig Team Fortress 2.

What I'm Playing:
  • Main Campaign: Final Fantasy 13, Heavy Rain
  • Side Quest: Modern Warfare 2

No comments:

Post a Comment