Monday, September 15, 2014

Still Playing With Power

For my last birthday my Pop sent me an Amazon gift card. Because I insist on spending all forms of gift money on toys and fun stuff, I got me a Supaboy! Deep down I kind of want to be playing SNES all the time, and now I can!


The Hyperkin Supaboy is an aftermarket portable console that plays SNES and Super Famicom cartridges. The beauty that happened after hardware patents for machines like the NES, SNES, and Sega Genesis expired is that now anybody can reverse engineer the hardware and duplicate it, thus, tiny versions of your childhood favorites.

First of all, I think the packaging on this thing is awesome; They're smart to immediately bring on the nostalgia for the old SNES packaging font and red-and-black motif. More importantly, the feel of this thing is pretty solid. The buttons and D-pad are firm and responsive, and the screen is bright and clear. I noticed that the game booted right up, while my vintage SNES sometimes needs a few tries, so apparently that thing may be on the way out. As a quibble, I would have liked if the included rechargeable battery came installed, so you're going to need a small Phillips screwdriver as soon as this comes out of the box. There's also a little bit of rattle in the cartridge slot, but no big deal. What is big is the overall size: this thing is clearly made for adult, nostalgic hands, not small children, but kids should be able to play just fine with a controller plugged in.

All in all I think the Supaboy is pretty awesome and I'm glad I picked it up. Thanks, Pop!

What I'm Playing:


  • Main Campaign: The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Side Quest: Star Fox, U.N. Squadron

No comments:

Post a Comment