Monday, August 26, 2013

Cutting Some New Shapes

BlizzCon 2013 is coming up, and I'm preparing a costume that I've been wanting to do for some time. I don't want to reveal it yet, in case this whole thing falls apart, but I would like to put up some progress blogs.

Basically I'm making an EVA foam armor set, similar to the Mass Effect suits that can be seen on Punished Props. I downloaded the templates and the instructions for how to use them, and after much futzing around with Gimp and having no idea how to print them, I decided that the best part of the package was the example images and the instructions on how to take and modify your body measurements. Other than that, this is a custom job...


The first step was Molly helping me to trace my body outline on brown wrapping paper. I then plotted out my heigh and width measurements for my chest and back. I laid tracing paper over that and tried to do a decent freehand that came close to the example template...


I cut out that drawing and laid it over some sturdy cardboard and traced the outline. This is free hand, so instead of tracing it in full, I picked the better side and flipped it over to make it symmetrical. I cut out the cardboard with a razor knife (safety, kids!) That will be my template for cutting the EVA foam. I'm taking a break from the back piece to bang out this blog.

So far in the build process I've hit several fail points and redesigns, and its been valuable to remember that this is part of the process. I appreciate Adam Savage's advice to give yourself more time and supplies than you think you need, and expect to fail and waste materials. It's just part of the build. I'm also staying open to modifying tools and techniques to suit my build; after all, them end result is going to be more of a reference rather than a duplication of the source concept. Once it's done, I think I'll have enough call-outs to the source that it'll look really good. Keep an eye out for some updates after PAX Prime!

What I'm Playing
  • Main Campaign: Dragon's Crown
  • Side Quest: Divekick!, Animal Crossing New Leaf



No comments:

Post a Comment