Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Nice Cans: Senta Forty On-Ear Headphones

When the scroll wheel iPod was the hottest new gadget from Apple, Puff Daddy was rumored to have listened to his during sex. If that's so, he would have done well to ditch the stick-and-cup white Apple earbuds and strap on a set of Senta Forty headphones.




I just picked up a set of these on-ear cans from C Crane Electronics, with a little birthday money and a recommendation from my disc jockey father. The wooden exteriors look stylish, and enrich the sound coming from these reasonably-priced phones. I'm happy with the cloth-shrouded cord, which detaches from the individual cups. The rubber headband twists and contorts, so there's less concern about breakage. I read in several reviews that the headband was a bit aggressive and would pinch after a while, and I felt this on my Pop's pair as well. The pair I wound up with doesn't have this problem at all! If anything, I might like a little bit more grip.

The sound is full-figured and bassy. I've ran a few tests so far, all on a 6th-generation iPod Classic: Static X - Push It; Freezepop - Less Talk, More Rokk; Nelly Furtado - Promiscuous Girl; Ludacris - Southern Hospitality; Madonna - Live To Tell; Pac-Man CE - Entrance; and Anamanaguchi - Airbrushed (RAC Remix). The bass is no slouch; at full blast, Anamanaguchi rattled the cups. There is some distortion at extremely high volumes, but I had no problems at about 70-80% iPod volume. At a good volume, the tunes are the only thing you'll hear; my girlfriend 10 feet away was able to pick up some wayward sound, but she could only get my attention with arm-flailing.

In all, I'm very happy with the Sentas. They're comfortable, snazzy, and crisp. The rotating cups make neck wearing easy. The included cord is long enough to reach your iPhone, but you'll need a generous extension to reach your stereo. They're great for basic listening, but I wouldn't recommend them for runners, skateboarders, or headbangers. At 60 bucks they're a great choice. You could spend twice as much on a more capable pair, but I feel you get get a great sound out of these and save the extra cash for more mp3s.

What I'm Playing:

  • Main Campaign: Mark of the Ninja, Rock Band Blitz
  • Side Quest: Rock Band 3, Super Hexagon






1 comment: