Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Busting Makes Me Feel Good/A Ghostbusters Halloween

So it's been a long time since I posted here, and it's all my fault for being lazy. I could make promises about the New Year, but it's better to just start posting things. And I have plenty to share, especially events like PAX Prime, BlizzCon, and Ümloud. But I'm starting with something fun and cool from last Halloween.

My girlfriend and I wanted to do a cool partner costume for Halloween, and we got the idea to do Ghostbusters! We wanted to look reasonably authentic, and I wanted to build stuff for us to use. With a little Google searching I found posts on the Ghostbusters fan forums on building the classic proton pack out of stuff you kind find at dollar stores and thrift stores. Check out the early build:




We started by looking for rigid objects that were the right shape, and could be cut, glued, and painted as we needed. The pack we made is basically foam blocks, a plastic storage container, a cheap flashlight, a butter dish, small bowls, a pie pan, and some plastic tubing mounted to a piece of particle board. The wands are more tubing, a baby bottle, a hairbrush handle, and a whistle. Everything is held together with liquid nails, Gorilla glue, staples, gaffer tape...basically whatever worked at the time...and spray painted matte black. The pie pan has holes cut in it, and a battery LED shines through a sheet of red gel. Molly printed out some warning labels and decorated the packs with colored wire and ribbon cable. The construction was pretty rough, but it was cheap and it only needed to last for a couple parties and photos.

Check out the suits:


I'm wearing an Air Force coverall from eBay. Molly's suit is a stylized coverall, also from a designer selling on eBay. Molly's goggles are a standard safety goggle built up with the flashlight lenses, whistles, and then painted green. The arm patches are cheap from eBay. I was stoked to find a guy on Etsy who made the custom Ghostbuster name patches for us. Effing awesome!

We wore the costumes to a few parties, and to a screening of Ghostbusters in Santa Rosa. Naturally we did a few glamour shots. Enjoy!













What I'm Playing:

  • Main Campaign: Skyrim
  • Side Quest: Jetpack Joyride, Dr. Mario

No comments:

Post a Comment